Thursday, October 23, 2008

Forecast of the persimmon


According to folklore (which means it hasn't been scientific proven, or disproved), the severity of approaching winter can be forecast by cutting open a persimmon seed and looking at the shape of the kernel inside. Hold the seed carefully with a pair of needled-nose pliers and use a paring knife to slice it open.

If the kernel is spoon-shaped, lots of heavy, wet snow is forecasted.
If the kernel is fork-shaped, powdery light snow and a mild winter is predicted. If the kernel is knife-shaped, bitter icy cutting winds for next few months will occur.

It is recommended to cut at least ten seeds to determine the outcome of the kernel shape.
First of all, what is a persimmon? I thought they were called tomatoes, but apparently, I'm wrong.
If you don't know, I'm a winter person through and through. There are no bugs biting and no sweating just from stepping outside. Those are just two of the many reasons I love the season.
Well, in today's paper, I see this article which made me very happy. I may have to start planting persimmons in our garden.

1 comment:

junebug said...

Never heard that before. I'm not turning on my heater until at least November! If you don't hear from me for awhile you might come by and knock to see if we froze to death. :-)