Friday, July 10, 2009

Lifelong friends

Sara's dad, John, had a good friend in school named Dick. They were buddies. Here's what I know about their friendship.

They grew up together. They went to school together. They went to the same church. When John married Margie, and Dick married Frankie, John and Dick built their houses next to each other. They've been next door neighbors for over 50 years. They watched each others families grow in size. They shared in any success and sadness the other one would experience...birthdays, graduations, weddings, funerals. When Dick's wife passed away several years ago, I imagine Dick clung to John's friendship like he never had before just to get through each day. He probably didn't need to cling too tightly, because I'm sure John was there for him and put on a fine display of friendship.

Today is the last thing John & Dick will do together. They will attend the same funeral.

Dick passed away this week from cancer. John is going to the funeral of his lifelong friend. It has to be the strangest thing when your friends start passing away...especially someone you're that close to. I feel sad for John. Sara and her sister went to the funeral. Dick was always so good to their family.

I didn't have much interaction with him. I remember him being a kind, gentle person. And what always impressed me about him is that he always remembered my name. When I saw him at John & Margie's 50th anniversary party, he shook my hand and said, "Hello, Mike." When we would pull into John's driveway to visit her parents, if he happened to be outside, he'd wave and say hello, using our names. "Hello, Sara! Hi, Mike!" he'd say. Just the nicest guy. A good man. He was at our wedding 15 years ago and I've probably exchanged words with him just a handful of times. Yet, he still remembered my name. That, to me, is really something.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Mike, what a thoughtful piece. I appreciate this story.

I had the same thoughts as you regarding friends passing away when Bobby Aldridge died. He was only 34 yoa, and was a good friend. He got me into Law Enforcement. He died of a massive MI (heart attack) - even though he was in decent shape, and in fact was on military manuvers down in OK when he died. In all honesty, I believe that he died from a broken heart.

As we pass the 1/2 way mark, it is a dark thing to think that we have possibly lived over halh our life. I have no fear of death, but I feel a sadness about leaving those I care about, or vise versa.

Anyway, you wrote a great blog that really made me think.