Wednesday, July 8, 2009

123456789

Today is July 8th, 2009. The seventh month...the eighth day...and the ninth year of this century.

At 34 minutes and 56 seconds after noon today, it was 12:34:56 PM. The numbers lined up.

For one second in my life, and probably my children's life, time looked like this:

12:34:56 7/8/9.

How would we celebrate that one second? I made a point to come home for lunch to be with them for that precious second that we would all experience just once during our time on earth. (Well, if the kids are blessed with good health and good fortune, I suppose they could live to see the next one).

Amber wanted to bob for apples. That takes too long. What else?

Andrew didn't really have any ideas. We needed to celebrate quickly...something that would only last one second, but yet, be something we would always remember. That's when it hit me.

We weren't on earth the last time this happend. Most likely, none of us will be on earth the next time it happens. So, why not leave earth when it happens this time?

So, at 12:34:56 PM on July 8, 2009, what'd we do?

We jumped. All three of us jumped at the same time. Our feet were off of the earth. We were in the air...elevated in space but captured by time. But, only for one second.

For one second, we celebrated...together as a family. A father with his children, celebrating one second of life, one second of being together, one second of joy and happiness.

Sometimes, life gets busy and steals away moments that could easily be spent with your family. Today was a very busy day for me at work, but I found time over lunch to make a memory for me...for Andrew...for Amber. And it only took one second.

That one second is surrounded by so many other moments and memories, but that one second became a treasure for me. It's one second I will always remember.

1 comment:

@nnie said...

i'm intrigued by numbers as well, but had not thought of this. very cool, and something your kids are sure to always remember!