Sunday, January 10, 2010

23 is greater than 5

I love going to watch the Oklahoma State Cowgirls play basketball. Love, love, LOVE it! Yesterday was our first visit of the year to Stillwater. It was also the beginning of conference play for the Cowgirls. They were hosting the #5 team in the nation, the Baylor Bears.

I don't know if Baylor is a big rival for Oklahoma State, but in my mind, it will always be a rivalry. To me, Baylor and Oklahoma University are the two great villains of Big XII Women's Basketball...especially Baylor. Here's reason #1.

The coach. Kim Mulkey-Robertson. Granted, she's a great coach, and that's probably why I like to see her lose. Oh, and the mullet doesn't help. And what's reason #2?

This girl. Yeah...that's a girl...and she's dunking the basketball during warm-ups. Freshman Brittney Griner. Coach Kim Mulkey-Robertson's secret weapon for the next four years. She dunks the ball during games, too. But it didn't happen yesterday!

The #23 ranked Cowgirls, after a scary first half, completely OWNED the Baylor Bears in the second half and went on to win 78-65. Andrea Riley scored an amazing 43-points! And watching the 3-point shooting of Lakyn Garrison and Tegan Cunningham...all I can is WOW. Making a 3-point shot never looked so easy. The inside game of Lindsey Keller & Megan Byford is intense! It's a real battle underneath the goal and they handle it so well.

After the game, we enjoyed dinner with the OSU coach (his sister loves me!) then loaded up on more OSU merchandise (I've never owned so much orange clothing) and made our way home.

Yesterday I saw proof that number 23 is greater than number 5.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!

Andrea Riley was amazing! By the way, BU starter Melissa Jones was out with a "stress reaction."

p.s. Kim Mulkey was divorced from Randy Robertson in mid-2006 and went back to her maiden/playing name.

p.p.s. I hate the Mulkey mullet, too.

Being Robinson said...

i think i need to see said orange clothing! do you have orange glitter too?! i sure hope so.

@nnie said...

Great pics and story, thanks! Now the cowgirls are ranked #19, and I see why after reading your post. (I am usually focusing on another certain team during bball season) ;-)