Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Isaac...today is your day!

I've never met the kid, I don't know what he looks like, I just know his name, and he's probably making his entrance (or is it an exit?) even as I speak.

My little sister is having a baby today! I'm excited for her, I'm nervous for her...it's weird. I know she's going to get to witness all of the joy someone can experience from pitocin. I called her husband, José, and told him how I talked Sara through the Pitocin Pathway.

For those who don't know, pitocin helps to induce or augment childbirth...but only if you're already pregnant. In other words, it takes a regular contraction and turns it up to eleven. Thank you, Spinal Tap. And speaking of spinal tap, if you know that pitocin is in your future, I suggest getting an epidural to numb as much of your body as possible. Not sure if it helps but I know I'd have that box checked on the option sheet with a big red Sharpie.

Anyway, once they had her connected to the pitocin drip and it started to perform it's evil contraction dance, I would warn Sara that a contraction was beginning because the red numbers on this machine next to me that she was hooked up to started to rise. Those were probably the most terrifying words I spoke to her every six or seven minutes because once I gave her the warning, she would totally get her game face on and withdraw into this inner sanctum of peace and strength. But, on that climb to the peak of the contraction, it didn't look very peaceful. And, it appeared that the lady behind the counter of the inner sanctum was rationing the servings of strength. It was kind of scary, and I really felt bad for Sara. Throughout the climb, I was NOT to say anything more until the red numbers told me that the contraction had peaked and was on the decline. Then, and only then, I told her that she was coming down. Once the contraction was over, and not one minute before, she would thank me. Yep, she would thank me for uttering just a few words of hope and promise during one of the most intense times of her life..."You're at the top" or "You're coming down"...she WASN'T thanking me for putting her in that situation. Let me make that clear.

Anyway, Sara survived, we were blessed with Andrew after walking the evil Pitocin Pathway and I expect my sister, Stacie, will do the same.

Good luck, Josè.

Isaac, welcome to our world! Your uncle Mike has a lot to share with you. Let's get together soon.

1 comment: