Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Quotes and stuff

So this was the first day I actually was able to get out and exercise. I guess pushing a lawn mower counts but that's tied to a chore and it diminishes the purpose and mindset behind it. Yesterday, I bought a grilled chicken sandwich from Wendy's rather than the fried version or a burger, so that was a start. I also had a lemonade instead of a diet soda. That taxing thing the government wants to do for sugary drinks may help curb that craving. Anyway, today was the first morning I woke up early enough to go on my walk before Andrew got on the bus to go to school. I wanted to roll over and go back to sleep for a while longer, but I couldn't ignore the daylight pushing through the dark curtains in our room used to block out said daylight. Face it, Mike. You're awake. I figured it was God's way of helping me indulge a little less and do what I should be doing instead. So I went for my walk and really enjoyed the cool temperatures. I figured that was God's way of rewarding me for getting up and moving so early in the morning. Most of the songs that shuffled their way to the top of my Zune were mostly Christian songs. I, again, figured it was God's way of supporting me on my walk and inspiring me to continue. So, thanks God for all of that!

Last night, I watched the last part of "Glee" to see if they were going to show a preview of the second episode (which won't air until the fall) and they did. The funniest line is in that episode. One of the characters says ""That was the most offensive thing I've seen, and that includes an elementary school production of 'Hair'". HILARIOUS!!! Love this show! I can't wait for the fall to get here just for this show alone.

At work, I decided to check up on a recording artist I hadn't heard from in awhile and went to their website. At the top of their page, I found this quote and thought it was especially inspiring and wanted to share it with the few of you who read this blog.

Our Deepest Fear by Marianne Williamson
from A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

I intend to use these words to my benefit in my "Less of Me" quest. I'd write it on my hand to remember it, but it's such a long quote I'd have to use my forearm, and I don't want to walk around having people think I have Angelina Jolie-like tattoos on my arms. Who needs that kind of attention? If I'm gonna have a tattoo, it's gonna be a picture of something cool, not something written in a foreign tongue. And nothing that would make my mother cry. That's the kind of guy I am.

2 comments:

Being Robinson said...

Something that wouldn't make your mother cry. Nice! And hilarious. I TiVo'd Glee but haven't watched it yet. Hopefully tonight, or I'll save it for when all the good shows are over and the sucky summer shows are playing.. chirp.... either way I'm looking forward to it.

YAYA for a early morning walk, I can't seem to drag myself out of bed in the morning for a run, and it's so beautiful out, I kick myself every day for it :(

And i LOVE that quote you left... I have to admit, I've been beating myself up a LOT lately, more than usual the past few weeks, it's been ugly. I think I'm going to copy that quote, print it off and use it. I'm guilty of being scared to shine... In fact I had that thought just the other day. It's like I will feel guilty for being good at something... ridiculous! :) So thanks Mike!

junebug said...

I would like to see you try to get that onto a piece of rice. :-)

Good For You on the Walk!