Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My walk with the North wind

It would have been so easy to just lay in bed and enjoy the cloudy, cool, quiet morning. But, why not just get up and throw myself into that mix and surround myself with the clouds, the cool, and the quiet? It really wasn't that difficult to do now that Sara is working her summer schedule and is up getting ready to work. Sonny really wanted to go, so much so that when I let him out to do his thing, he stuck his head around the corner to check on me just to be sure I wasn't leaving without him.

Sonny has picked up a bad habit and I know where he got it. Pete the dog. Pete is owned by a neighbor down the street. Pete is an old labrador who walks with his owner, Jim (who is a retired widower), everyday down our street and through the park along the creek. Pete is not on a leash and just kind of follows Jim and wanders aimlessly at the same time. Pete thinks he owns the neighborhood. He's a nice dog...very friendly. But, if he sees a car tire, a mailbox, a tree, a flower bed, anything that appears to be at a 90-degree angle from the ground, Pete will give it the leg-lift salute and "shower" it with praise and glory. And, if he really likes you, he may leave a "present" for you in your yard. I think you know where I'm coming from. Well, Sonny has seen him do this and as I walk with Sonny (who is on a leash), he'll fall behind to try and "mark" something he feels he can claim as rightfully his. Wrong! I just keep moving and eventually the leash tightens and pulls him away from his carefully balanced act and the deed never gets accomplished in all of the glory he intends. I will not let Sonny become that dog. It's rude. My dog is not rude. So, we'll see if I can break him of that.

The rain that came through last night was wonderful. It not only gave us a night off from baseball, it cooled things off just as it was starting to get warm. Whew! This morning was very nice. It was nice to have the north wind accompany me today, pushing me up the hill as I was just getting started, and cooling me off as I headed the other direction. Come back and visit anytime!

The music today was scattered to say the least. I broke my own rule and hit "next" on a few songs today. They just don't belong and I marked them as such. Those included songs by Michael Jackson, Firehouse, Vince Gill and Paul Davis. What I ended up with was this.

ZUNE MORNING MIX 060309
• What I Really Want To Say - Steven Curtis Chapman
• Paralyzed - Strange Celebrity
• Inside - SOiL
• Yankee Rose - David Lee Roth
• One World - Toby Mac
• Renegade - Styx
• What I Can Do For You - The Imperials
• Excitable - Def Leppard
• Feel Like Hell - The Showdown

I'm taking the suggestion from IzzyBubbles and sharing the best song of the day. So, thanks Izzy!

The song that struck me most today was the one by The Imperials. The tempo was right. It's a song that takes me back to Jr. High School when I was first discovering contemporary Christian music. The Imperials are one of the first groups I saw in concert when my church took the youth group to a show in Wichita. I think Farrell & Farrell opened up for them. For all that surrounded me today...the weather, my mindset...everything, this song just worked. Plus, I really like it. It looks like this is only going to give you a 30-second sample but you'll get the idea.

2 comments:

junebug said...

We have two boxers on our side of the division plus a black lab that comes by occasionally. They all drive my dogs crazy.

Being Robinson said...

hmmm, yeah milo is that dog who thinks he should mark everything, some days are worse than others, but still... yep he tries to be that dog. so annoying.